Sunday, 12 July 2020

One Mini at a Time - part eleven



The flesh areas were built up over a Snakebite Leather colour with highlights mixed from flesh and white and allowing the darker base colour to show through in the shadows.


The naval blue uniform was layered up from a base of dark blue, highlighted with lighter blue - not too many layers as I always find blue (particularly dark blue) doesn't need too many layers.


Detailing was done with a Rosemary & Co No. 401 Sable/Synthetic brush and a Winsor & Newton series 7 Sable brush.


The trousers were built up over a cream/linen colour and highlighted with white.


My usual Snakebite Leather coloured base with highlights and washes with some stones picked out in grey highlighted white.



The varnished and decorated miniature also shown with the rest of the boarding party (below).


I'm really enjoying painting up these Flintloque miniatures one-at-a-time. It is a lot more relaxing and rewarding than having a group of part-painted figures on my workbench, For now, stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony

Saturday, 11 July 2020

One Mini at a Time - part ten



The next Alternative Armies Flintloque miniature to be painted up is this Albion artillery officer. In this first image you can see the Milliput modifications and groundwork.

However there was also quite a bit of subtle mods this time done with Vallejo Putty mixed with a touch of PVA glue (the white areas on this grey undercoated miniature see image below).


Then before painting, proper, I undercoated the whole mini with a dark brown/black basecoat which was later 'washed' with a sepia wash. As I have noted in earlier posts, I prefer to base my miniatures before painting. I find it easier.

You should also be able to see my favourite miniature holder, a large cork stopper with Bluetac - three small pieces of Bluetac in a triangular shape rather than just one large blob. I find that the three smaller blabs hold the miniature better. I'll give more details of my modified cork mini holders in a later Blog post.


The next post should include details of how this metal figure was painted bt for now, stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony

Friday, 10 July 2020

One Mini at a Time - part nine



The groundwork was painted in my preferred Snakebite Leather colour and highlighted by drybrushing on a lighter colour before varnishing with both gloss varnish (for protection) and matt varnish.

The base was then decorated with some static grass and dark green ground foam and the miniature was finished.


The final image shows the finished Halfling alongside the earlier modified Obidiah figure to give an idea of the size.


I should have another in-progress post of yet another Flintloque character soon, but for now, stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony

Thursday, 9 July 2020

One Mini at a Time - part eight



The flesh areas have been built up over a Snakebite Leather coloured base, highlighted with both flesh and white added to the mix and then washed with the old GW flesh wash (the blue  topped wash).


The blue and black areas have been built up in a modified Kevin Dallimore style, lighter tones built up on the highlighted areas, while the red neckerchief  was a base of Gore Red, highlighted with Bright Red (an acrylic tube paint).


The linen trousers have been painted in an off-white colour and the belt touched-in with dark grey. Once again I have gone for a naval style colour scheme and even though this is a Frontear miniature, I have painted it as a Flintloque sailor or boarding party member.

Stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony

Wednesday, 8 July 2020

One Mini at a Time - part seven



The third figure is an Almorque Character from the Alternative Armies Frontear Range of metal miniatures (7101). After mounting the figure onto a 2p coin (I could have used a 1p but thought it would have looked a little too small), I built up the groundwork with Milliput epoxy putty.


I then primed the mini with Tamiya spray paint primer (grey) and used Vallejo Putty applied with an old paint brush to refine some of the detail. I find that mixing the putty with PVA glue and applying it is thin layers (it can take more than one layer to hide poor seams) works best.


The mini was undercoated in a dark brown colour and 'washed' with a sepia wash to highlight the miniature ready for painting.

As you can see, my usual basing and miniature prep work has many steps before I start painting. I wonder if anyone else does the same. Basing after painting - just doesn't work for me.

Stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony

Tuesday, 7 July 2020

Models for Sale on Ebay



I've listed two of my scratch-built models on Ebay. The first is the Boer War Blockhouse which featured in Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy issue 102 from May 2019.

See this link for full details.




The second is this look-out fort, based on the Fort at Amiel and also featured in Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy, this time issue 104 from September 2019.

See this link for more details.




The auctions start at just £20.00 each (plus postage) and will end on Sunday.

Thank you and good luck.

Tony

Monday, 6 July 2020

One Mini at a Time - part six



Mini number no. 2 - finished, varnished and decorated. I am particularly pleased with how this figure turned out. I think the revised pose is even better than the original Obidiah sculpt and painting it in naval colours has given it a very unique look.


Here you can see the miniature from various angles, which give a better idea of the pose and the conversion.


The base was decorated with a couple of bits, some static grass over PVA glue and dark green ground foam added over superglue.


I'll have another one at a time mini soon, but for now stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony