Sunday 15 May 2016

Pax Bochemannica Boche - part three



With the basing done - I undercoated the figures with a dark brown/charred brown mix. I have been moving away from a 100% black undercoat over the last couple of years - I'm not saying that I won't go back to it at some time. It's just that my preferred undercoat (at least for the time being) is dark brown.

Image Two - This dark brown base was further detailed with a rough mid brown 'wet-brush' (like drybrushing, but with more paint on the brush). I think it it obvious to see just how well sculpted and full of character these particular miniatures are - they all but paint themselves!


I should have mentioned in an earlier post that the sock windsock has been 'pinned' with a short section of paperclip before being glued in place with superglue. I have also used a tiny bit of Milliput to hide the join and strengthen it.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Tony

3 comments:

Rob Alderman said...

Great stuff Tony.

I also sometimes prefer a brown undercoat. It just adds a bit of warmth to the model.

I've also seen people spray a model grey and then give it a brown wash, which I found interesting.

Anonymous said...

Nice work on some nice minis. I too used to use black but now I always use light grey or even white - even if the mini is going to be black! I find the black undercoat really dulls down the final product which is not how I want my minis too look (though it undoubtedly lets you finish painting them quicker).

Tony said...

"I find the black undercoat really dulls down the final product which is not how I want my minis too look (though it undoubtedly lets you finish painting them quicker)."

I agree - Black for speed, Brown for warmth and White for show-stopping!

Tony