Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Christmas 2025 Project - update #10


This latest update is split in to two parts, the first shows the start of the work on the gondola which was constructed from some white card. The gondola is a tight fit in to the opening in the roof and strengthened with some internal supports. I still need to detail the exterior and add a roof but for now I am satisfied that I have the small opening for the cable in the right place.


The second part of today's update shows the work on the pit top opening. In the earlier post I showed how the simple wooden surround was built from balsawood. 

I cut a hole in the baseboard by drilling a series of holes and then cutting out the pit or hole. I then modelled a short section of the mine pit with more balsawood as well as a base or bottom before gluing it to the upper surround. The mine or pit is only about 60mm deep but as I painted the bottom in darker colours it looks deeper.

The whole assembly was then glued in place on the layout and the edges filled or built-in with DAS modelling clay.


Here you can see the mine or pit opening situated on the baseboard. The yellow masking tape is so I can add the main building back in the correct position.


The final image for today shows the pit head, main building and mine surround all situated on the layout. I have added the building at an angle but centrally on the baseboard. Please note that the red painted building and pit head have NOT been glued in place as I still have quite a bit of work to do on them before I can do this.


Tony

No comments: