Saturday, 3 October 2026

Christmas 2025 Project - update #11


I have now added the corrugated iron sheeting to the roof. It was a fun project that used many of the techniques that I had used on the main Yellow Pelican mine buildings which I have describe below.

The raw materials - aluminium food containers bought for the bargain price of just £1.00 for 10. The containers were cut in to smaller sections using the sides and ends then flattened out by rubbing with the curved or bottom edge of a large spoon over sheets of newspaper. The individual sections were then trimmed to size 60mm x 36mm and corrugated.


Corrugating - I used this make shift corrugater which was constructed from a paper crinkler (or a paint tube squeezer, I'm not sure which) that I had made some years ago. I placed the small flattened pieces of aluminium foil on to the base and rolled the corrugated roller over the top. I could sometimes take a couple of turns but overall the process was easy and quick.


Sheet material - Once I had enough it was on to the painting. I should mention that I initially produced too few sheets and had to go back to a third aluminium container to get enough for the full roof.


Painting - The roof pieces were undercoated with a grey spray can undercoat before being painted with various acrylic paints. I tried to vary the colour by mixing up the paints and using a rough old brush.


Detailing - The initial painting was then detailed by 'splattering' the pieces with even more acrylic paints. I have watered-down the paint and used a large brush which was 'flicked' with a cocktail stick. A very messy procedure but I think it was well worth it.


Roofing - The individual corrugated iron sheets were superglued on to the roof in a staggered pattern working from the lower edge to the top and trying to keep that random effect that I had produced during the painting process.


Any paint flakes (there were a few) were touched-up once the sheets were attached.

I still need to add a number of small details to the roof and attach the headframe and gondola but for now I think you can see the progress I have made.

I have tried to be though in my description of how I modeled the corrugated iron sheet roofing, but if you have any questions please contact me.

Tony

No comments: