Friday 14 January 2011

Citadel Washes - effects of cold weather

Ever since Citadel/Games Workshop launched these new washes, I have been a firm supporter and advocate of their fantastic properties, however the recent cold weather has had a devastating effect on my collection. The washes have separated in the pots and there is now a definite layer of what looks like clear 'Slush' on the top and concentrated colour on the bottom. It does not show up too well in this photo, but you can see the texture and consistency of the washes in the samples in from of the bottles, which looks like small ice crystals suspended in coloured water. I had to remove the 'slush' and colour with a cocktail stick to show this effect.

Please click on the image below for a better view.

What is even more interesting is that the effect is different depending on the colour, with Badab Black performing best with only a very slight graininess to the carrier and Ogryn Flesh performing worst!

Temperatures in the Midland dropped to a reported -12 degrees over the Christmas period, with unofficial reports of -19, however the current temperature is +12 degrees and the washes have still not (re-) combined. I was wondering if any reader had had similar issues?

I keep my washes and paints in the-shed-down-the-bottom-of-the-garden so there would have been low temperatures. My various Acrylic paints (a whole range of manufacturers) are all performing perfectly, even the old blue-topped Citadel flesh Wash has not been effected.

I would hope that this short report would help others in protecting their washes, but I would also welcome comments as to how best to proceed.

Tony

Following comments here on this Blog and a couple of personal e-mails. I took the offending Washes back to The Games Workshop store in Worcester where the manager exchange all eight for fresh pots. Thank you. Perfect customer service.

6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

I bought some of these just before Christmas, I've not used them yet and like you I keep my paints in the shed at the bottom of the garden, hope they're ok.
Cheers for the heads up!!
Ray

Ludo Weyden said...

Hey Tony, the only problem I've experienced with the washes and extreme cold temperatures is that they started to smell like rotting vegetebles. But it didn't effect the paint at all. One minus is that it leave a shiny layer, it's not really a problem but sometimes the painted object needs to stay matt. cheers!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I love the old Flesh Wash (which also smells!) but am particularly unimpressed with Ogryn as a replacement - are any of the other flesh inks closer in colour to my trusty old "fleshwash"???

Tony said...

Thanks to all for the comments.

Steve. I also like the Old Citadel Flesh Wash - the old blue topped one. I would suggest that Sepia is closest, but still not a direct match. I have not had any success with Ogryn Flesh Wash, however there are many who swear by it!

Tony

Rob Alderman said...

I have had success with all the washes, but they do a different job to the Inks.
It's a shame they didn't continue making some of the inks, but oh well.

As for where to get GW flesh wash 'ink', try out Coat d'arms paints, that company actually made the original GW paints, so as I am sure you can imagine, you'd be buying the same ink really!

Cheers
Rob

Tony said...

According to the Coat D'arms Web page, The old blue-topped Flesh Wash from Games Workshop is available from the current Coat D'arms Fantasy range, see;
http://www.gladiator.clara.net/fantasy.htm

Number 133, Ink Wash - Flesh.

Further comparisons can be found here;
http://www.gladiator.clara.net/equivale.htm

Tony