Thursday 3 November 2011

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

I'm back in love with Pratchett. Last year I started reading Unseen Academicals but for the first time with a Pratchett book I did not enjoy it or finish it. I Shall Wear Midnight (the 38th Discworld Novel) has rekindled my enjoyment of Terry Pratchett and he is back to the top of his game.

I found this book in a charity book early last month and almost from page one it was non-stop roller-coaster of fun and humour.  Highly recommended.


Full details,
ISBN 978-0-385-61107-7

I know that there is a new Pratchett book (the 39th) called Snuff which I am looking forward to reading. Part of the Vimes themed story series.

Tony

6 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Looking forward to a new Commander Vimes story.

Scottswargaming said...

I must admit i quite enjoyed "UU", it poked fun at the 'glorious game' and its attendant hooliganism/tribalism that goes with it in the UK and other parts of europe...
"I shall wear midnight" is one of Pratchett books thats also aimed at the 'younger reader', and whilst I still enjoyed it, I was surprised at the topic of the opening narrative; basically an abusive father beating his daughter so much because she got pregnant that she miscarries and loses the baby. Hardly material for a younger reader!

Peter Ball said...

I can definitely recommend Snuff. I'd say it's among his best works.

Farmer Geddon said...

I'd partially agree that UU was slightly less easy to read than his other recent books, but I still enjoyed it.
I know the Tiffany Aching books are supposed to be aimed at a younger audience, but like the best of them, so called 'grown-ups' can enjoy the books as much, if not more than those younger people. Or maybe thats just me?!

Tony said...

I've never looked upon Pratchett's Discworld books as being written for children (mind you my Wife is always saying 'I'm a big Kid!'

I think of Pratchett as a different approach to life in general.

It is also one of the few series that actually makes me laugh out loud.

Tony

Tea in Thailand said...

Oo I haven't read this one, but have read the other Tiffany series books. Can I read it at Christmas!? The other are in the garage somewhere. And if you haven't read Making Money, Thud! and Going Postal, they're good too xxxxxxxx