Saturday 28 January 2012

Cannon Ball

Earlier today I had to visit a house in Worcestershire to do with work and got to talking with the owner about my hobby of constructing historic building which are then cast in resin and sold as wargame scenery. Before leaving he showed me a small cannon ball - about the size of a cricket ball which he says came from an old fish and chip shop in St. Johns, Worcester. Could it be from The Alfred Taylor House, St. Johns? See this link

The cannon ball was similar to the one illustrated with a knobbly texture and grey/brown colouring. There were no obvious markings. It was difficult to assess the weight, but certainly not something you would want to get in the way of.

Any ideas as to its weight or poundage based on these sketchy details?


It is always interesting to see such an artefact 'in the flesh'. On the way back I also saw some beautiful old wood/stone barns and expect I will take a drive out later this year with my trusty camera.

Tony

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And there was me thinking you were working hard all day. :P
S. xx

Anonymous said...

I suppose that if you knew its diameter, as well as the density of cast iron, you might calculate its rough weight.

Of course, there's nothing better than actually weighing it!

J Womack, Esq. said...

Sounds like about a 3-pdr.

Author said...

Are you sure it is a cannon ball, and not one of those gate-closing weights?