Thursday 6 December 2012

Riveter

I have recently been commissioned to build a master model which required many, many rivets. I would usually slice plastic rod, but this project would be cast in resin and the rivets would have to be perfect.

I have this Hinchcliffe/Historex plastic card riveter or hole punch which I have used many times before, but with the number of small plastic rivets I would need for this model I built this simple jig.

Photo One - The Historex Hole Punch as you purchase it.


Photo Two - The jig, the base (an MDF miniature base), and the plastic card jig which was built from 3mm thick Plastic card and superglued in place.


Photo Three - The jig and hole punch in use.


Photo Four - A plastic or resin rocker arm which I use as a hammer. It is strong enough to hammer in the metal punch and hard enough not to show any marks, without being too heavy.


Photo Five - The finished rivets.


When I use the hole punch I use the rod that is one size smaller than the hole I am using in the die. I find that it can be worked quicker (and easier) if this is done.

I hope this helps other with their hole punch.

Tony

5 comments:

painterman said...

Hi Tony
I've been considering getting a hole punch for some time - do you know where you got this from (presumably not Hinchliffe Models of old?)>
Many thanks
Simon.

PS - always a very interesting blog to visit BTW.

Tony said...

Hi Simon,

You should be able to get this hole punch from Historex Agents, Dover - see;

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxshop.php

Good luck.

Tony

painterman said...

Thanks - but regrettably no longer stocked by Historex. Will keep looking for one.
Simon.

Tony said...

Try this link.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev4/3301-3400/rev3399-Pinch-Tool-Johnson/00.shtm

Tony

Tony said...

You could always try this;

http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Micro-Punch-Die-Set.html

Tony