Friday 12 August 2016

Milliput and Green Stuff





Over the past couple of months, I have found that I am now using a Milliput and Green Stuff mix, rather than one or the other. This was not a conscious decision, but rather a natural development as I am finding the subsequent mix much easier to sculpt with.

In my earlier post I detailed how to work with Green Stuff.

The Milliput Green Stuff mix I use is about 2/3 Milliput to 1/3 Green Stuff, although I have read that other modellers have gone for a 1/2 - 1/2 mix. The Milliput/Green Stuff mix is less 'sticky', sets to a smooth finish and is extremely hard. I have tried carving the set putty and this works, but I have not yet tried to sand it.

I am well aware that mixing these and other putties is nothing new, I have seen comments in the modelling press that date from 1996, stating that mixing these epoxies and experimenting with the mix is worth trying.

I have also been trying out some different lubrication products to smooth out the putty after reading another article that stated skin lotion was better than Vaseline - unfortunately the modeller did not supply a brand name.

I still like to use 100% Green Stuff when modelling smaller items like straps, buckles and buttons - remember to add these over a small spot of superglue.

Tony

2 comments:

Tony said...

I've just found this and thought it was worth re-posting;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEg7Ti9AGWU&t=926s

Tony

Tony said...

I have recently come across this You Tube tutorial which uses Milliput and alcohol. Something I had never come across before.

For details see this link;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8Acdi59M0

Tony