Sunday 14 January 2018

Free Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a



Yesterday afternoon I came home to this surprise. Sue had picked up the Daily Mail newspaper from WH Smiths which was offering this Airfix 1/72nd scale Spitfire Mk.1a model kit free. The newspaper proclaimed that the model kit was worth £9.99 quite a jump from the 2/6 kits I used to buy with my pocket money. Thank you Sue.

For more details see this link.

Later I was searching the internet for some images and came across this Limited Edition box art with Daily Mail logo in the lower right hand corner. My free kit is plain (without the logo) and I couldn't help thinking how rare such a Limited Edition box is or could be in the future.

It is disappointing to read rumours that Hornby (the owners of Airfix) are looking to sell the brand.


Tony

6 comments:

Simon said...

That was the first kit I ever made. I remember my Father helping me. It came in a plastic bag with a card picture/header. Must have been the very early 70’s.

Kaptain Kobold said...

A pity it involves buying the Daily Mail. And sad that Airfix/Hornby feel happy doing business with them.

Tony said...

"A pity it involves buying the Daily Mail"

Your views are similar to my daughters.....

Tony

Admiral Drax said...

Wow! Daily Mail notwithstanding, what a lovely surprise to be greeted with.

Lasgunpacker said...

What a great find! What does the DM cost these days anyway?

Tony said...

"What does the DM cost these days anyway?"

As you can appreciate it is far from a regular purchase in this house, so I had to check. The Daily Mail cost £1.00.

Tony