Sunday 11 June 2023

Ruston Proctor and Hornsby Akroyd Oil-Engined Locomotives


Earlier today Sue and I decided to drive across to Bewdley and have a walk along the river. On the way back I stopped off at the Severn Valley Railway and picked up a number of second hand magazines, but it was this small booklet that I consider as my best buy of the day.

Ruston Proctor and Hornsby Akroyd Oil-Engined Locomotives by Robin J. Parkinson and published by The Moseley Railway Trust in 2003 is a book I have been searching for for some time and I found it nestled amongst a number of pamphlets and booklets in one of the preservation wagons. At just £3.50 I thought it was a real steal.....

As a modeller of 18inch narrow gauge railway engines, the four oil fired locomotives built by Ruston, Proctor and Hornsby Akroyd for the Royal Gunpowder & Small Arms Factory, Waltham Abbey are some of my favourite prototypes. I already have some scale drawings of these engines, but this booklet includes some of the best blueprints of these engines that I have even seen. I no longer have any excuse for not building a model in 1:27.7 (or 11mm = 1 foot).

Along with this publication I am still looking for Railways of Royal Gunpowder Factory, Waltham Abbey and a Narrow Gauge Railway Guide about the same subject.

For now I'll just enjoy this latest buy.

Tony

No comments: