Friday, 2 May 2014

Adding Talc to Acrylic Paint - part two


Click on this image for a larger view

I was so intrigued by the last Blog post that I made up this simple swatch of six colour boxes.

I have used Vallejo Game Colour Bloody Red (72010) painted on to artists sketch paper. I made sure that I shook the paint bottle prior to conducting this experiment.

I have started with the 100% Bloody Red, then added talc in roughly 10% increments.

I used Johnson's Baby Powder - a perfumed Talc.

Results;
Vallejo Game Colour has very good coverage.
Vallejo Game colour does dry with a very slight sheen.
Adding talc does effect the colour, best seen in the 40% box.
At 10% there does not seem to be any change in the colour, but I would suggest that the colour is a little more matt.
The opacity seems to have been affected, with 30% and 40% affected most.
By adding 50% talc, the paint became much thicker and too thick to be used for painting miniatures.
I needed to add additional water to the 30%, 40% and 50% boxes as the paint was too thick to use properly.

Conclusion;
I can see a case for adding a small amount of talc to acrylic paints. I would suggest that 5% - 15% maximum.
I would like to conduct further tests - possibly over a Black undercoat to see if the paint performs differently or has different opacity values.

I hope that this helps.

Tony

Updated 13.36 02/05/2014
This post from Vexillia gives more details.

3 comments:

Vexillia said...

Wow! 40% is a lot: I'm not surprised the colour changes.

I tend to mix in damp brush loads of talc into my palette wells so this probably fits with the 5-15% range you found.

I sometimes have to add a little water, or more paint if I've added too much talc.

MxConnell said...

I remember adding talc to flatten enamels back on the 70s. Never would have occurred to me to try it with acrylics. Perhaps it would help opacity as well?
Martin

Neil H said...

Interesting article. I wonder if this helps with the usual problem colours of red and yellow covering a black undercoat ?