Saturday 16 January 2016

The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett



No spoilers.....

The Shepherd's Crown is Terry Pratchett's latest and according to all reports last novel, although I do so hope that there are enough of his notes and scribbling to add to the Discworld pantheon. I read the book from cover-to-cover in less than a week, and although I wouldn't suggest it was my favourite; it was without doubt the most sombre and thoughtful.

Terry passed away last year and The Shepherd's Crown was published after his death. The book does however help to tie up a number of loose ends - most of which I will not mention here for the enjoyment of anyone who is still to read the book.

The Shepherd's Crown was a Discworld book that I felt was much less 'laugh-out-loud' funny than a number of his earlier books - more thoughtful as I felt Terry was saying goodbye to his fans (and his characters).

Many reviews (that I have read since finishing the book) highlight this thought, a thread that runs throughout the book and story. After reading the last page, I felt empty and very sad that an author that I had first been introduced to so many years ago has now departed - the world is a much less humorous place now that he has gone. Since The Colour of Magic, I have shared the delight of the latest Terry Pratchett book with my daughter and with the publication of this - the last of the books in a very long and successful series, I wonder if there will ever be another author who quite captures the essence of fun with such a serious and thoughtful undertone?

Rest in Peace Terry Pratchett and thank you for those hours of pure pleasure.

Tony

1 comment:

mattblackgod said...

I had the same feeling reading it.

RIP Terry Pratchett.