Sunday 23 September 2018

The Merry Wives of Windsor - RST, Stratford-upon-Avon



Last night Holly and I saw the latest Royal Shakespeare Theatre production - The Merry Wives of Windsor. A truly laugh-out-loud romp that combined Elizabethan England with classic TV references from The Only Way Is Essex, Eastenders, Only Fools and Horses and Allo Allo.

This was the first time I had ever seen this play and although the synopsis was a little complicated, the superb performance made it an easy story to follow with fun and humour from the very start. In fact within minutes of the lights going down, I turned to Holly and said "I'm going to enjoy this." And I did. Possibly one of the best nights out for a very long time with more laughs and humour than a Live at the Apollo set. Very well worth seeing and the good news is that although the Stratford performances are finished, the cast is moving on to the Barbican in London  from December - I think we may have to have a visit to the Capitol to enjoy this play again.

For more details see this link.

Tony (and Holly)

No comments: