The Knights' Tomb by Tony Harwood
First Published in 2012
Originally published on Barking Irons Online back in July 2012, this article had been lost when BIO was shut down but I have included it here in full.
The main structure is built up from a couple of wooden blocks and clad with cardboard. I cut the card panels with a new scalpel blade and used PVA glue to attach them to the wooden block. The technique is quite easy – if time consuming. I cut out a number of simple rectangular shapes, each overlapping the earlier one and with a slightly larger aperture in the sides, the effect when multiplied can give stunning effects. In total I used five layers, but you can decide to increase or decrease this.
The top and bottom of each side is further modelled with yet another layer of card. It is a very easy technique, just take your time.
In the initial plan I was going to use the two foot soldiers and these can be seen placed on top of the card-clad tomb. The recess in the top was designed to hide the figures bases.
For the final model I decided to use the mounted figure and have attached the metal horse to the tomb lid with superglue. The lid is 3mm thick plastic card with a rough rectangle removed from the centre. When the horse was fitted, I filled the spaces with Milliput Fine White and smoothed out the join. Additional detailing to the tomb sides was done with either cardboard or plastic rod sliced into thin discs.
I have mounted the card-clad tomb onto a lower level of 3mm plastic card and further attached this to an oval base made from even more 3mm thick plastic card. Keen-eyed readers will see that between the tomb base and the groundwork I have added a piece of tile-textured wallpaper and built up the groundwork with DAS modelling clay.
The painting was carried out in my usual manner, a very dark undercoat of black and dark brown which was roughly painted on with a large brush. I added some fine sand to the paint and brushed this over the tomb and base but not over the horse and rider.
The first highlight was 'scrubbed-on' dark brown, black with a little cream coloured acrylic paint added to the mix.
The second highlight was the same as the previous, but with a little more cream added.
The third highlight was as before but with some Skull White added and applied with a drybrushing action, just picking out the upper edges and the fine detail.
Throughout the painting of the tomb and statue I have tried to keep the colours subtle and avoid a stark or pure white highlight.
The groundwork was painted with Snakebite Leather from GW and highlighted with touches of Skull White added to the mix. Individual stones have been picked out in grey – blended from Chaos Black and Skull White and then highlighted with a little Skull White.
Varnishing and flocking
After varnishing with Galleria Matt Varnish I have added coloured sawdust or flock which I add to all my terrain pieces so that they blend in with my gaming table.
06.10.18 now using sub-headings