Sunday 12 July 2020

Practical and Simple Wargame Terrain - part six



The latest issue of Miniature Wargames (issue 448 - August 2020) features another article written by me. This time a Timber Framed House modelled in the style of the long out-of-production and modular Pardulon resin buildings. The three page article shows how I built this 28mm scale house using the same principals as the earlier articles, namely;

1 - The model should be constructed from simply sourced or everyday materials.

2 - The model should be generic and able to be used in a wide variety of different games or genres.

3 - The model should be robust enough for wargame club use.

4 - The model should be finished to a good standard and resemble the building it represents.

5 - Finally, it should fit into a 6 inch x 6 inch x 6 inch box - for easy storage.

For details and images of this latest issue see the this link.


I have included images of the earlier models in this series (see below).






At this moment, there are still three similar articles/tutorials awaiting publication and my hope is to complete at least one more following the same principals of using scrap materials that are easily and readily available - in fact this particular model was built and painted during the Covid 19 lockdown using nothing more than corrugated cardboard, egg box card, lollipop sticks, balsawood and toilet roll card.

During the recent lockdown, I have been wondering if  this series could be published as a book - Book 4 or Dampfpanzerwagon Guide No. 4 in my series of self-published guides (see links to the right).

Dampfpanzerwagon Guide No. 4 - Simple Structures for Wargamers?

I was wondering if these greatly expanded tutorials or guides (the originals published in MW are just three pages long) would be of interest to readers of this Blog. Self publishing is not a cheap option and would require guaranteed sales of at least 250 copies to make initial production worthwhile and profitable. I have written in the past that I was not looking to write a fourth guide, but I feel this series of simple and practical structures could be a worthwhile project for both the novice and experienced terrain builder.

What do you think?

Stay safe and

Keep Calm and Carry On Modelling

Tony

5 comments:

Codsticker said...

I really like the lichen in the roof tiles. I have tried to do something similar but it comes out too bright and a little too organised- your is perfect.

Tony said...

Yes it is difficult to keep it looking random. In this particular example it was splattered onto the roof by loading a large brush with watered-down acrylic paints and flicking the bristles with a cocktail stick. Practice first as it can go very wrong if there is too much paint on the brush or you are in the wrong area.

Good luck.

Tony

Millsy said...

I think I have said it before Tony. I would buy ALL your books in PDF, all the previous ones and any new ones forthcoming. Just saying...

Tony said...

I'm looking into allowing the next book to be a PDF copy, but for now I am still trying to gauge demand for Book No. 4 - and would it be worthwhile producing it.

Thanks for your support.

Tony

Richard said...

I'm in for a copy.