Friday 18 May 2012

Hellboy and Captain Alatriste

Earlier this week I finished the Hellboy novel The Ice Wolves by Mark Chadbourn and have just started The Captain Alatriste book The Sun over Breda.


I found the Hellboy book slow going at first but it developed into a fine story, typically Hellboy but with some interesting twists. I would recommend it as a simple horror/fun read - not too taxing but one that moves along at a fair pace. Without giving away to much of the story, it does flit around a bit.


The Sun over Breda is book three of the Captain Alatriste series by Arturo Perez-Reverte following on from Captain Alatriste and Purity of Blood. Each of the previous books have been jolly good yarns - or typical Boys Own Adventures. Great summer reads. I'm looking forward to completing The Sun over Breda.


Full details are;
Hellboy - the Ice Wolves by Mark Chadbourn
Published by Dark Horse Books
ISBN 978 1- 59582-205-5
List price $12.95, but picked up for 99p (buy1 get 1 free from The Works)

The Sun over Breda - Captain Alatriste Adventure
Published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson
ISBN 978 0 297 84864 6
List price £9.99 (hardback) but bought for just £1.00 in a remainders book store

Tony

1 comment:

Tea in Thailand said...

Hi Dad,
I think I might try some of that series. Think I'd like them? I'm reading one of the Harry Dresden books at the moment, but it's not as good as I'd hoped. Might move on to the Stephen King Dark Tower series.
Love you xxxxxxxxx