Monday 5 August 2019

An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure - Canal wall



Regular followers of this Blog will know that I have been working on an industrial narrow gauge railway layout built to 1:27.7 scale or 11mm = 1 foot. The choice of such an unusual scale has meant that much if not all items needed for the layout have had to be heavily modified and/or converted from existing models, completely 'scratch built' or sculpted by me.

In these latest posts I will update the Blog with 'work-in-progress' images and text showing how the initial project is developing. For more information look out for the Narrow Gauge Labels to the right.

The canal or wharf retaining wall has now been painted. I used low-tac masking tape to mask off the painted groundwork before painting the stone wall in various greys then drybrushed and washed the stones prior to painting the wooden strakes or rubbing strips. I had seen in some reference photos that the stones were both highly worn and colourful and I have tried to copy these features. Finally the green algae was added with washes of dilute acrylic paint.


The cast iron metal waste outlet (copied from one I had seen in the Droitwich Canal) was painted in various rust effects. At the same time the iron mooring rings were painted in the same mix and rust staining was added along the wooden strips with both paint and powders.

Tony

No comments: