Monday 13 August 2018

An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure - Adding Clutter part eleven


Regular followers of this Blog will know that I have been working on an industrial narrow gauge railway layout built to 1:27.7 scale or 11mm = 1 foot. The choice of such an unusual scale has meant that much if not all items needed for the layout have had to be heavily modified and/or converted from existing models, completely 'scratch built' or sculpted by me.

In a series of clutter themed posts which are planned to run throughout August I will demonstrate what materials I have used to model such items and how I have painted these various pieces of 'clutter' which will at some stage be added to the finished layout.


This warehouse trolley was scratch-built from various thicknesses of plastic card following a design I saw on the TV programme Salvage Hunters. The trolley was used in a fabric manufacturers/dyers and as I sat watching, I quickly sketched details on a scrap of paper. The only addition or change from the original were the four lifting lugs, one on each corner. The wheels were sections of knitting needles cut into discs and sanded smooth. The metal strapping was more (thinner) plastic card.

Painting was built up over a dark brown basecoat with lighter highlights brush painted with acrylic paints. The plank effect was done by applying washes over the textured plastic card sides while the metalwork was painted in a dark brown/black colour with a fine brush.

The model was varnished with Galleria Matt Varnish before I applied metal highlights with a graphite pencil.


Tony

No comments: