Thursday 30 August 2018

An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure - Adding Clutter part twenty-seven


Regular followers of this Blog will know that I have been working on an industrial narrow gauge railway layout built to 1:27.7 scale or 11mm = 1 foot. The choice of such an unusual scale has meant that much if not all items needed for the layout have had to be heavily modified and/or converted from existing models, completely 'scratch built' or sculpted by me.

In a series of clutter themed posts which are planned to run throughout August I will demonstrate what materials I have used to model such items and how I have painted these various pieces of 'clutter' which will at some stage be added to the finished layout.


The strangely shaped oil can to the rear right was copied from a similar can seen at the Bewdley Town Museum earlier this year. I was not able to get close enough to measure it, so I have estimated the size and I think I may have made it a little too big. It was made by gluing layers of 3mm thick plastic card together and wrapping with aluminium foil. The handle was more foil and the spout was a short section of plastic rod.

The other items were from my scrap box or bits box. A plastic tube, a section of plastic card and the fender from a cheap toy tractor.

Painting was once again done with acrylics, then washes. I am conscious that the rusted items look a little darker in this post.

Tony

No comments: