Tuesday 28 August 2018

An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure - Adding Clutter part twenty-four


Regular followers of this Blog will know that I have been working on an industrial narrow gauge railway layout built to 1:27.7 scale or 11mm = 1 foot. The choice of such an unusual scale has meant that much if not all items needed for the layout have had to be heavily modified and/or converted from existing models, completely 'scratch built' or sculpted by me.

In a series of clutter themed posts which are planned to run throughout August I will demonstrate what materials I have used to model such items and how I have painted these various pieces of 'clutter' which will at some stage be added to the finished layout.


Seven metal petrol cans. These 2 gallon petrol/oil cans were inspired by a second-hand SHELL petrol can I saw at The Severn Valley Railway, the Bewdley station last month. At the time I didn't have a ruler or tape measure with me and was trying to scale the cans with a piece of scrap paper and taking images with my camera. A volunteer asked what I was doing and when I told him, he very kindly found me a tape measure. Thank you.

The models were made from layers of 3mm thick plastic card cut and sanded into a long strip 5,5mm x 9mm. This strip was then cut into can size heights 11mm tall. I added a thin plastic card top and bottom to the cans and then sanded them to shape (adding some dents and bruises to some). The handle is a strip of aluminium foil and the screw top is a piece of plastic rod glued in place with superglue.

They were painted with acrylic paints in a variety of different colours and aged with more acrylic paint, drybrushed on and washed. The blue can had a yellow decal added, just to give it a little colour and the metal edges were highlighted with a graphite pencil after they were varnished.

Tony

No comments: