Saturday 11 August 2018

An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure - Adding Clutter part nine


Regular followers of this Blog will know that I have been working on an industrial narrow gauge railway layout built to 1:27.7 scale or 11mm = 1 foot. The choice of such an unusual scale has meant that much if not all items needed for the layout have had to be heavily modified and/or converted from existing models, completely 'scratch built' or sculpted by me.


In a series of clutter themed posts which are planned to run throughout August I will demonstrate what materials I have used to model such items and how I have painted these various pieces of 'clutter' which will at some stage be added to the finished layout.


Here you can see one of the largest pieces of clutter I have made for the narrow gauge layout, a steel oil tank. The model was based on an oil storage container that I had seen in Upton-on-Severn in Worcestershire it is built from plastic card around some LEGO bricks with detail from more plastic card, plastic rod and a couple of cut-down pen tops used as vents. The brick base was constructed from green foam, the brick pattern inscribed on with a scalpel and the point of a sharp pencil. It was painted with acrylic paints with much weathering. I chose to paint it red rather than the more usual green.

To the side you can see a large resin barrel that was sculpted by me (details can be found in earlier posts). The metal wheel was from a 1:43.5 scale tractor that was picked up in a local charity shop while the pipe is a section of pen barrel.

Tony

No comments: