Monday 1 May 2023

Building Wargame Terrain - a very special anniversary


It has been ten year since I self published my first Dampfpanzerwagon Guide No. 1 - Building Wargame Terrain. The book was released in May 2013 after about six months work, producing the tutorials and arranging for the book to be published. The first print run ran out very quickly and two subsequent reprints meant that this guide was the most produced of the three guides written and published by me.

I think of it as a great success, but also believe that knowing what I know now, I would have done it slightly differently - possibly a Kickstarter!

I don't think that this book will be reprinted - at least not in this format. The two following Dampfpanzerwagon Guides - More Wargame Terrain and Models for Wargamers have both been reprinted, but have not been as successful as the first book. All three are now out-of-print.

I sometimes see this and other books or guides written by me come up for sale on ebay and can even report that I have seen some of them for sale in secondhand book stores - now there's a recommendation.....

Thanks to everyone who supported me with this project.

I can't help looking back and not quite believing that it has been ten years. Since then I have produced two books for Pen & Sword as well as hundreds of magazine articles that are mainly, but not exclusively wargaming based.

I wonder what the next ten years has in store?

Tony

4 comments:

mattblackgod said...

Wow, happy 10 year anniversary. Your books have pride of place on my bookshelf

Tony said...

Thank you - that means a lot to me. Although they were a labour of love I know that I have made many, many friends through the publication as well as getting a load of inspiration for new modelling projects.

Once again thank you.

Tony

(Kym) + Warburton + (Classic40K) said...

10 years! Wow. I bought this book as well as the two that followed. I have referred to them all many times. I have been meaning to buy your Pen & Sword books too when finances allow. Well done and looking forward to seeing what you release in the next 10 years!!

Tony said...

And again thank you for all the support. The ten years seams to have flown by and as you know most of my new content is for magazines - particularly Miniature Wargames. I have thought about another self published book but realise that my model making is more of a hobby than a business and I'm happy keeping it that way.

Tony