Saturday 31 January 2009
The miniatures show my early painting style/styles. Although I am never sure that I have improved that much!!!!
Photo One - is a Citadel Hill or Stone Troll, mounted on to a Milliput rock, which in turn is mounted on to a 40mm square, plastic base. The ground work is sculpted Milliput. (I have no idea why I painted the hair ginger!)
Photo Two - is a Gourgaz Leader from the LONE WOLF adventure books by Joe Denver and Gary Chalk. This miniature was picked up some time ago from a bring-and-buy stall and the axe was missing. I sculpted a club in its place. The base is thick plastic card - 30mm x 30mm.
Thursday 29 January 2009
The first section show figures that have at least been undercoated!
Photo One - is a Walkapuss, produced by the American manufacturer Lance & Laser. The miniature is mounted onto a 40mm round base and basecoated black for the body and white for the head!
Photo Two - is a miniature that was given away with the now closed-down modelling magazine Harbinger. I have tried to paint this miniature on two separate occasions and both time felt that the flesh colour and detail was not right - maybe third time lucky.
Wednesday 28 January 2009
Photos One, Two, Three and Four show the completed skirmish board from each of the four corners. The photos taken outdoors and in natural light give a great impression of the naturalistic groundwork I was attempting with this project. For better images, please click on each of the photos.
The final two photos, Photo Nine and Ten - show the novel feature of this terrain piece - the fact that the monolith can be lit from within with some Christmas decoration lights powered by a small battery pack built into the base of the tile. These two photos were taken indoors and without a flash.
Monday 26 January 2009
I find that this part of the project is very therapeutic and the main issue is knowing when to stop!
Sunday 25 January 2009
Photos One and Two - are pretty self explanatory, a dark brown base colour painted with a large round brush and a smaller pointed brush for painting around the detail.
Friday 23 January 2009
Thursday 22 January 2009
The two colours used for the base are un-diluted Burnt Umber 11027 and Charcoal 11086, mixed in a ratio of one part Burnt Umber to five or six parts Charcoal. (The exact mix was varied to give a more natural stone colour). It needed up to three coats to get a good even coverage.
I have also washed the whole structure with a wash of five parts distilled water and five parts Klear, with a spot of flow improver and a dash of dark brown and black acrylic paint.
I realise that the whole project is well behind schedule, but I am pleased that it is still moving along and keeping me interested.
Saturday 17 January 2009
I have now started book three Last Argument of Kings and find myself not wanting to put it down.
A Fantasy trilogy in the same style as The Lord of the Rings, with a gritty, adult text that adds to the quest and story, with believable characters and back stories. I thoroughly recommend all three.
Wednesday 14 January 2009
Photo One - shows the groundwork in greater detail. In addition you will notice the ornamental urns, which came from the same plastic game set that the horses heads statues came from, one of the urns was split into two with the aid of a hammer and chisel. The plastic pieces do not take glue or paint very well and I have had some issues getting either to stick.