Saturday 20 January 2024

Model Shop Closures


I don't think I am alone in noticing the number of model shops either already closed down or reducing stock. I know that there have been a number of reports about closures on the news and internet but I am also concerned about the shops that are reducing stock or cutting back on stock holding.

Obviously model shops are not the only section that is being effected but those regular stalwarts of my hobby pennies are certainly becoming fewer and I'm not sure we have seen the end of it. I know that my hobby spend is less than previous years and my visits to shops (and shows for that matter) are down on previous years but I still love to browse the shelves of those 'bricks and mortar' shops that I can still get to.

Are you seeing the same?

I am not sure there is an easy answer but wish I was able to support those that still exist more.

Tony

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the hobby generally is slowly going under. I see the model railway hobby shops/shows are closing as well. Like wargames shows if people just browse and do not buy the traders and the shows will cease to exist. I think both hobbies are ‘greying’ and people certainly have less disposable income.

joppy said...

Yes, I've found the same thing in this part of the world. Only two model shops now open within an hours car trip, with restricted stock. If I get the response that the shop doesn't stock something basic my stock reply is "that I'll have to go online, then" . Probably makes no difference though. Perhaps we'll be back in the good old days of making things ourselves?

Codsticker said...

Yeah, both the hobby shops within 20 minutes of me have gone; one about 15 years ago and the other just a year ago. They had both been around for decades, were owned by men in their 70's when they went out of business; no one was interested in buying them.

David Wood said...

We have Element Games in Stockport, a games centre and shop. They do a lot of mail order and seem to be going strong.

irishserb said...

Seeing the same thing here (central Ohio, US). Last year the main shop that I've frequented for 36 years converted primarily to RC (primarily drones and helicopters) and then moved just far enough away, to put it "out of range". Two other long time shops apparently couldn't survive the effects of covid, and closed shop in the last couple of years.

My local shop carries a very limited supply, but I'm more RR and military with a lot of scratchbuilding, not much of a 1/25 scale muscle car kind of guy. I try to support him whenever I can, but understand that the market is too small to cater to my interests.

mattblackgod said...

Yes. I miss browsing the shelves for a cool kit. Liverpool has been losing model shops for decades. A old model railway shop has just shut, the last model shop in the city.

Christopher said...

I can’t think of any in the west midlands area now. I miss finding the unexpected gems, the things I’d never look for on eBay etc