Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Make & Craft Embellishments from The Works


Last week I picked up this bag of what looked like ground foam from The Works. At just £3.00 I thought it was a great bargain and one that I was sure I could use for adding ground cover to my wargame models and model railway layouts.


For £3.00 you get quite a lot of material as it is really stuffed into the bag. On opening the bag I found that rather than being lots of fine foam it was in fact a mix of foam and threads more suitable for modelling bushes and trees. 


There really is much too much for anything other than a large layout and all being one colour it could look a little off. I therefore decided to experiment and see if I could make different colours.

The image below show the first tests. From left to right they are; basic colour, added Ochre, Linen and Ochre, red brown and dark green with a touch of black. As you can see there is quite a variety and I have not yet used 1/5th of the bag.


The new colours were mixed from acrylic paints with just a touch of water - remember to wear gloves as it is very messy. If you 'click' on the images you can get a better idea of the texture - a bit like natural wool with fine foam added.

Trust me this is well worth the outlay and should give you enough model greenery to last a very long time plus it is so much cheaper than model shop bought ground cover.

Tony

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it looks as though there is a mix of colour in each blob now, very nice! How did you get the paint on - was it painted, sprayed, or mixed in a bowl and massaged through?

Colin Hagreen said...

And there's a nice mix of colour in each bunch now, very nice. How did you colour them - painted, sprayed, or soaked in a bowl of colour and massaged in?

Tony said...

I used acrylic paints and a touch of water in a plastic container then added the foliage. I mixed the paint into the foliage with my hands (used gloves as it is messy) then allowed to dy naturally.

Marc said...

Good info!

I've been getting this stuff from Temu and my local craft store, and it only seems to come in a few colors. I was wondering if it could be dyed.