Thursday, 16 September 2021

Malvern Airbrush update

This vintage airbrush was picked up at the Malvern Flea Fayre last month. For more information see this post. After a quick clean I tested the spray with both plain water and some acrylic ink. It worked perfectly and I have since used it to spray paint a piece of scratch built terrain (more on this in a later post).

After using acrylic paints, I thought I had better give it a thorough clean and left it soak in some airbrush cleaner. Unfortunately the steel screws (there are three of them) started to rust and discolour the chrome. So it was time for a complete strip down and clean.

The airbrush cleaner had done most of the work for me, but I did need to clear up the rust stains. I used mild metal polish to clean and polish the chrome and once that was done I lubricated the innards with WD40. A test spray highlighted some air seepage around the plunger so I wiped on a tiny amount of petroleum jelly to the polished needle and can report that this simple £7.00 airbrush works perfectly.

I have not been able to find out that much about this model or the company - the airbrush has these markings;

COLOUR SPRAYS LTD LONDON and the model number 5018. If any reader can supply more information, I would be grateful. 

I have once again included a link to my Dampf's Wargame Terrain Survey and would welcome any answers to the three simple questions. For more information on the survey, see this link for details.

Thank you.


No comments: