Thursday 26 December 2019

Christmas 2019



Another 'what I had for Christmas' post.....

Regular readers and followers will know that I usually receive some model-making or modelling related gifts for Christmas and 2019 was no exception.


I'll start with issue 2 of Fantasy Figures International, a reasonably new, bi-monthly publication from Guideline Publications with issue 1 being reviews earlier this year. For more information see this post. Issue 2 was a gift from Sue.

I've only had chance to quickly browse issue 2, but first reactions are another great read. I particularly liked the WW1 Giant Robot diorama featured in Angela's Hammer Time.


Out of Steam, a book from my Brother-in-law and Sister-in-Law looks like a good read.


Village Buildings and Language of Buildings both by Matthew Rice were gifts from my Daughter. I already have a different edition of Village Buildings (a larger portrait layout book), but this smaller edition still has all of the beautiful illustrations.

Language of Buildings is one of the very best architectural 'primers' or introductions I have ever come across and I found myself sneakily reading sections of it all through Christmas day. This really is a fantastic book and the illustrations (see below) are just marvellous.



Curiosities of Worcester (a charity shop find) and another gift from my Daughter has loads of quirky stories and illustrations.


Finally on the book front we have Making Rural Buildings for Model Railways by David Wright. This time a surprise gift from Flo, my Mother-in-Law. Once again, I have only had time to browse the book, but first impressions are very good. In fact the opening chapter - The history of rural buildings in Britain is the most informative chapter giving details of the styles and types of buildings that I have ever come across and for this chapter only, I would give this book a 10-out-of-10. I'm really looking forward to spending time reading the whole of this book.

This one really is a very good book and one that I would have no issues in recommending to model building enthusiasts everywhere.

Earlier this year I was fortunate to see some of David's models at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association show in Burton, where David was giving instructional tutorials. I didn't pick up any of his books then, but now I know I should have.....


I've also received a new cutting mat (I tend to go through these quite quickly) and a slab of DAS modelling clay, both from Sue. Holly bought me some Palomino Blackwing pencils (if you have never tried these - you are missing out. They are recognised as some of the very best drawing pencils available) and Flo bought me a sketch book - you can NEVER have too many sketch books.


Tony

No comments: