Monday 10 April 2023

The Machinists Tool Chest - part two

Following on from my earlier post (see this link) I spent the weekend cataloguing and cleaning the contents. The first image shows lathe drills (they have a different tapered shaft from normal drill bits). As you can see I have quite the collection and after cleaning they all look to be in perfect condition. Any standard drill bits were cleaned and added to my tool box.

Image two shows more lathe tools, this time cutting bits. I had quite a few more but here is a selection of the bits, the larger ones were much longer and covered with a protective copper coating.

Image three shows a selection of spanners, the large SNAIL BRAND spanner is over 8 inches long and very heavy. It was marked a 1930's date and there were also military markings on some of the others.

Here you can see the SNAIL BRAND markings and a second with ABINGDON stamped on the shaft. All of the spanners (and rulers are Imperial, with no Metric markings at all).

These tiny spanners are just over 1 inch long and both had military markings from the 1950's.


The final image shows a spanner multi-tool which after cleaning up and oiling works perfectly.

There are lots more tools that need sorting and cleaning (I'm going for a cleaned up look rather than a full 'gleaming' restoration) and I will give more details as and when I get around to it. The Machinists Chest will need quite a bit of restoration and a new front, so will take a little longer.

The Machinists Chest - the gift that just keeps giving.....

Tony