Sunday 5 December 2021

Christmas 2021 Project - a Silver Bayonet Skirmish Table


Regular readers will know that I've been working on a number Silver Bayonet projects with November 2021 being almost entirely Silver Bayonet centred. Well December 2021 will be more of the same with a modelling project I've been wanting to do for sometime, possibly years.....

I'm going to build a Silver Bayonet themed skirmish gaming table/module using materials that I have been squirrelling away in my shed-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden and hopefully get it all completed in time for a SB game over the Christmas holiday break.

Stage 1 - Planning

The Silver Bayonet recommends using smaller gaming areas than I've been used to; 24 inches square up to 36 inches square. In fact the published scenarios both multi-player and solo adventures state gaming areas between 24 inches x 24 inches and 30 inches x 30 inches.

This week I was given a piece of MDF Laminate 33 inches x 48 inches and I've had it trimmed to a very respectable 32 inches x 32 inches by a friendly neighbour - this will act as the basis for my gaming board. In addition I already have some strip-wood that was being thrown away and free-of-charge due to being warped, but there are at least four sections 32 inches long that can be used. Finally the polystyrene..... and a local skip supplied me with three damaged, but usable pieces, just the right depth to fit in with my warped wood strips, so overall cost so far - just a couple of pounds donation!

I've been Googling tutorials on building wargaming boards and the general theme is to use strip wood to frame the MDF base and then in-fill with a block of foam before covering with some filler and paint, similarly YouTube tutorials state the same so the plan is to use the MDF laminate as the base, screw and glue the wooden strips to the edges and then glue a piece of polystyrene into the frame before texturing the surface and applying paint.

Expect regular although not daily updates with the aim of having a finished board in time for Christmas. As an aside, I recently picked up some packs of scatter material and ground foam that was being sold off at the Evesham Crafters Companion store (£1.00 and £1.50 a pack). So once again I've been lucky in picking up another bargain to use on this project.

Stay tuned and I'll be posting my first Christmas Project 2021 update on Monday or Tuesday next week.

Tony

1 comment:

(Kym) + Warburton + (Classic40K) said...

I look forward to seeing this come together!