Today's update shows the natural sandstone groundcover applied to the layout. For details of the natural sandstone ballast/scatter, see this earlier post. In addition, I have started to add some greenery, in this case a natural paper substitute used to decorate hanging baskets. I picked the hanging basket material up from a DIY store some years ago as I thought it would come in handy, and so it has.
The sandstone was applied over PVA glue and then sprayed with 'wet water' (water to which I have added some washing-up liquid). I had tried using 100% alcohol in the mix, but find that my tried and tested washing-up liquid works better. At least for me it does.
The green tufts have been coloured with simple acrylic paints to vary the intense blue/green colour of the original and then glue in place with PVA glue one at a time. The process in not yet finished as I want to add more and again vary the colour to add some variety.
I have tried to be restrained with the placement as I don't want a luscious and verdant covering, but do want some variety. In addition I have painted odd stones with grey acrylic paint - again to add some variety.
The final image was taken from the bedroom window, to give a better impression of the effect I was going for. For larger images, you can 'click' on the pictures.