Thursday 8 May 2008

Dampf's Grey Period - My Paints

As promised in an earlier post I have detailed below the main range of paints and manufacturers that I regularly use. Before I start - this is not a list of all my paints, but more a core range or colours and potsof paint I could not do without. My actual paint pot collection runs into dozens if not hundreds of pots!

Paint;
Black - firstly, Vallejo Game Colour Black and then GW Black.
White - Vallejo Game Colour White and Reeves Tube Acrylic Titanium White.
Grey - Vallejo Stonewall Grey and Foundry Charcoal Black 34B .
Red - Vallejo Game Colour Bloody Red.
Orange - Warzone Gehenga Orange (very old and no longer available).
Dark Brown - Vallejo Game Colour Charred Brown.
Brown and Flesh base - GW Snakebite Leather.
Green - a range of three very old Warzone paints - Centurion Green, Jungle Green and Venus Green (each one, now treated with great respect as I am sure I will not be able to replace them).
Yellow - a range of paints and manufacturers, but no particular favourites.
Blue - a range but no particular favourites, but tending to be dark rather than light blues.
Flesh - Coat d'arms Linen and Warzone Legionnaire Flesh with GW Flesh Wash the old style pot with the blue flip lid (I have a couple 'stock piled').
Metalics - nearly all new style GW pots - I usually replace these before they run out.

Inks;
A large range of coloured inks but mainly Calligraphy inks from Dayler Rowney.

Paint additives;
Klear from SC Johnson.
Flow Enhancer from Dayler Rowney - the Cryla and System 3 Acrylic enhancer.
Clear Acrylic Gel from DecoArt and Reeves Artists Painting Medium.

Lighting;
Two 60watt 'Daylight' bulbs, one either side of my painting station.

Brushes;
Any good quality brushes but not expensive sable, as I abuse them - 'more GW quality synthetics in the main but some cheaper sable'.

My Palette;
plain paper or note pads - "use and throw away."

Following the initial comment about my grey painted miniatures, I have really begun to think about how I paint and visualise the colours and my miniatures, I know that I have a core and limited palette, but do not see this as problem, a bit like a group of old favourites or friends.

I would describe my painting style as following the style used by Privateer Press, black undercoat, strong bold colours, highlighted once, twice or more with washes of ink. See Warmachine/Hordes or their in-house magazine No Quarter.

Finally I found this particular exercise very interesting and one that I would recommend as a thought provoking project. It made me realise that I do not need the hundreds of little pots, tubes and bottles, just a small range of well tried and tested paints.

Tony

No comments: