Tuesday 6 May 2008

Dampf's Grey Period

Following on from the comment by 'Strangevistas' I have suddenly realised how many of my recently painted miniatures are grey. As Strangevistas stated - "not a criticism, just a statement of fact."

In response I upload another photo of a grey figure - the Hooded Leader, however I know that my 'Yours in white wine sauce' Blog competition entry is a set of grey steam tanks! And as well as the photos already posted I have at least six more Flash Gordon miniatures that are grey/black. All this and I never noticed.

Maybe its subconscious - watching all those black and white Flash Gordon serials!

"In years to come as art historians talk about Picasso's Blue Period, could WEB historians be talking about Dampf's Grey Period - I don't think so."

Has anyone else realised that they subconsciously paint with a limited palette? I also think that I am now reading to much in to a simple coincidence, but it is fun to ponder.

Tony

STOP PRESS

I will produce a list of the paints and manufacturers that I use. The main paints, possible limited to the top ten or dozen most used paint colours and any additives that I use - flow improvers etc.

The list should be posted soon.

Tony

4 comments:

Chicago Terrain Factory said...

I've had the same 15 bottles on paint on my painting tray for (what seems to be) years. Most everything I work on is some sort of earth tone - brown, grey, khaki with some sort of accent color. Over time, I think we get comfortable using the same colors over and over because we know how the paint is going to act.

Anonymous said...

I noticed after a while that I had painted over half of my many wargaming armies red, yellow, or some combination thereof: Imperial Fists, etc. I still catch myself drifting towards those two colors often. I think we just have things that appeal to us visually for whatever reason. You mentioned on one of your aeronef tutorials that you really liked the look of a gray ship--perhaps it is just something that works with your brain.

Anonymous said...

Many Artists go through periods, usually in response to their social culture that surrounds them. Take a look at one of your favorite Classical Artists, and you'll learn what phases of their life corresponded with their Art choices; color, subject, style, etc.
Now that you noticed it, you will probably catch it and shift your period to another hue. Let us know if you change. =)

Tony said...

I've decided that I will list my most used paints - the colour and the manufacturer as well as any additives I use. Expect the list within the next week.

In addition I know that some years ago I went through a Dwarf period, almost all the figures I painted during that period were Flintloque dwarves, does that count?

Thanks for all the comments.

Tony