Friday 31 August 2018

An Industrial Narrow Gauge Adventure - Adding Clutter part twenty-eight


Regular followers of this Blog will know that I have been working on an industrial narrow gauge railway layout built to 1:27.7 scale or 11mm = 1 foot. The choice of such an unusual scale has meant that much if not all items needed for the layout have had to be heavily modified and/or converted from existing models, completely 'scratch built' or sculpted by me.

In a series of clutter themed posts which are planned to run throughout August I will demonstrate what materials I have used to model such items and how I have painted these various pieces of 'clutter' which will at some stage be added to the finished layout.


Update number twenty-eight of my themed month and as the last planned update, something a little unusual, a road sign.

The model is a scale representation of a typical sign from around the 1960's. It was inspired by this magazine image (below) that I cut out and kept. I'm sorry but I did not keep a record of which magazine it was from. Using techniques championed by Emmanuel Nouaillier, I have mounted the signs onto thin plastic card and then trimmed the plastic card before gluing the signs to a section of plastic rod and weathering with acrylic paints and washes.

My intention is to use the sign as a bit of highway scrap and place it with some of the other rusted metal work at the back of the layout.


The themed month has forced me to finish off a number of scratch-built models of clutter in preparation for them being added to the still-to-be finished layout. Most of the pieces were modelled in short modelling sessions while listening to the football World Cup and sitting in the shed. I freely admit that I went a little over-the-top and am not sure that ALL of these pieces will be used on the layout.

I would hope that they have been interesting and informative. I know (through the Blog counter) that they have been well viewed and would welcome any comments.

Finally, here are two updates that didn't get shown in earlier posts. Another watering can/oil kettle scratch built from a section of plastic tubing and some aluminium foil.


and another wheel/tyre from the £1.00 toy tractor.


Once again, I hope that you have enjoyed seeing the progress.

Tony

No comments: