Wednesday 18 February 2015

Build Something 2015 - part seventeen

I wanted to add a layer of larger stones to the foundation of The Horseshoe Forge and did this by applying a strip of DAS modelling clay.


The DAS is added over a layer of dilute uPVA glue as I find this helps to secure the DAS and avoid shrinkage.


As is usual with my terrain models, I have based the forge onto a rough oval of 3mm thick plastic card. The edges have been chamfered and sanded.


I then use more DAS (again over uPVA glue) to build up the groundwork.


The support for the bellows has been glued in place and the DAS built up around the base.


The foundation stones were first carved with a scalpel before they had fully cured, then further refined with a scalpel, a large sewing needle and a wire brush.

More to follow. Full details of the LAF contest can be found here. Pop by and see the other entries.

Tony

No comments: